Students completing this program will:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of developmental and intellectual disabilities, including diagnosis and lifelong impact.
- Recognize and use research based methodology and effective treatments/therapies when working with individuals with developmental disabilities, their families and other caregivers.
- Utilize a strength based, resilience and humanistic perspective to empower individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities.
- Assess, critique, and improve work and application of Individual Support and Behavioral Support Plans necessary to be effective in disabilities services.
- Develop professional ethical standards.
Identify, evaluate and utilize effective verbal, nonverbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of diversity; how to provide ethical and culturally sensitive care.